Friday 23 September 2022

Dark Themes Throughout My Books and Content Warnings

 It has come to my attention that Amazon are banning books based on words mentioned in the author's description of the book. As I sometimes (but not all the time) write dark themes, I believe in being up front with the content of my books and mentioning them in warnings after the blurb. 

Example themes in my books:

Rape

Murder

Domestic abuse

9/11

Stalking

Suicide

Alcoholism

Drug abuse

Prostitution

Dubious consent

I won't shy away from writing about real issues but I will now need to be more circumspect about giving warnings regarding my content matter. From now on, when a book is listed on Amazon, I will list a very brief tally of warnings e.g. strong language and sexual scenes and I will point the reader to other ways to read the full list of warnings. This will be either in the front of the book by accessing the free sample on Amazon, or on my social media. When I post the blurbs from upcoming books on FB, this blog, Instagram and Twitter, the post will always carry the full list of warnings so potential readers can judge whether they want to read the book. The warnings will also be covered in the BOOKS page of this blog.

After this post, I will add the blurbs from my last three books with warnings.


No comments:

Post a Comment