Saturday 29 April 2023

Selling M/M books wide and putting all your eggs in one basket

 Amazon is a giant, and most MM readers buy their content there.


But things are not okay. Amazon has been shutting down author accounts with no reason given. They have raised their subscription rates for KU but lowered their payouts to authors. Many authors, like me, rely on their Amazon royalties, but these could all disappear on a whim.

Smashwords are a reliable digital platform that I've been with for years. They publish taboo and forbidden books writers can't put onto Amazon. (Even putting words like rape in CWs on Amazon can get you banned). They distribute to Apple books and Kobo, amongst others. Kobo have just announced Kobo plus, where you can borrow unlimited books a month for $7.99. The author does not have to place their books exclusively with Kobo.

Eden bookstore publish taboo and forbidden as well as other romance and have a subscription service.

These are just a few alternatives to Amazon. It's not good for one platform to have such a monopoly, but it's not easy for readers to choose to go elsewhere when Amazon have KU and books are so expensive.

A lot of authors are taking their books out of KU. I am exploring the option and will be taking some books wide. I have always had some books that are available only on Smashwords and not on Amazon.

Here is my Smashwords page.

Here is my Eden bookstore page. 

I will also be selling books at my own shop.

I hope fans of my work will support myself and other authors who decide to sell on multiple platforms. I will be offering discounts on my books on Smashwords to newsletter subscribers, starting this month.

The following books are leaving KU next month:

Love is Blind

Inferno

You can subscribe to my newsletter here


No comments:

Post a Comment